Wednesday, August 24, 2011

my not-so-storybook ending

Dear ___________,

For the longest time, my fairy tale was very specific. I knew it just had to be you. I had this feeling that no matter what happened to us, in the end, we would end up together. Everyone else was so convinced we were perfect for each other that it simply had to be true.

I was completely incapable of imagining my future with a different outcome. The thought that we wouldn’t wind up together was terrifying. For years, you were the only person I’ve ever wanted… I didn’t allow myself to consider any other possiblity. I literally convinced myself that you were exactly the one I’d been looking for. I fell in love with the story of our friendship, imagining how perfect it would sound after we got together. “Hung up” doesn’t even begin to describe how bad it was. I really loved you. But, as I learned the hard way, unrequited love does not a fairy tale make.

Recently, for the first time ever, I realized that it might not be you. You might not be the man I marry. You may not even be a man that I ever date. Maybe there really is someone out there who is more perfect for me than you. Someone better than the someone I had “settled” for imagining myself with for so long. That thought is more liberating than I could’ve ever imagined. I don’t know why it’s taken me so long to think it.

Unfortunately, this does not mean my feelings for you will instantly evaporate the minute I hit publish. Chances are pretty good that I will always wonder what if, especially since I know that we will both be in each other’s lives for a long time. And when this better man doesn’t come along on a white horse right away, I have a feeling I still might wish that you’ll step in and change the ending. But here’s my confession: I hope you don’t. It’s finally time I got myself a new story.

Here’s to endings. Here’s to beginnings. Here’s to rewriting the story.

More-Sincerely-than-I-have-ever-been,

Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment